Question
Posted by: Katie | 2011/01/25

Extremely painful periods

Hello. I’ m 29 and healthy as far as I know! I’ ve been having problems with my period:
I was on the pill on and off since I was 16. 2 years ago, I stopped taking it and my period didn’ t come for four months. When it did come back, it was very heavy and painful. After that month when it came back, it’ s been every 30 to 34 days, and not too heavy, but the pain has become unbearable. The pain will start anything up to a week before my period actually starts and it will continue throughout the duration of it. Sometimes it gets worse around the 5th or 6th day and get heavier instead of lighter, and contain a lot of blood clots. I’ ve had a smear test at the beginning of the year which came back as normal. The doctor prescribed Ponstan, which I’ ve been taking and most months it doesn’ t work and I have to take at least one day off work and spend it in bed, crying in agony. I don’ t think this is normal.
Please can you give me some advice. My husband and I want to start trying for a baby this year and I’ m really worried that there is something terribly wrong and I wont be able to fall pregnant!
Thank you.

Endometriosis is a possible cause for severe period pains.This can only be diagnosed with laparoscopy. Discuss this with your gynaecologist.

4
Posted by: Katie | 2011/01/27

Thanks Mary, Purple and Gynaedoc. I''ve got an appointment with my gynae and going to get a laparoscopy.

Thanks for your advice x

Reply to Katie

Posted by: Purple | 2011/01/26

Suggest you change gynae''s.

A Pap smear tests only for the pre cancerous cells in your cervix that could indicate that you might develop cervical cancer, so this was not anything to do wtih your periods.

You need a scan to check that you don''t have endometriosis which can make you have very painful periods.

I used to suffer terribly too and used to miss school and university because of the pain.
The usual methods people have - ponstan, hot water bottles, excercise etc don''t work with severe pain, they work with normal, bearable pain.
I was given two sets of pills by my gynae (no idea what they were though), one to make my period lighter and one for the pain (I just remember having to take about 9 pills a day on the first three days of my period).
I didn''t have endometriosis.
Whatever he gave me really worked well.
Now that I" ve had a child, I still get pain but it is not nearly as bad as before and I just use a hot water bottle to cope and don''t need to miss work for it.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Mary | 2011/01/26

Oh how I so understand the unbearable pain once a month. It has been so bad that I schedule my whole life around my periods. Here is a few things you can try, that usually work for me. Eat lots of beet. I know it sound strange, but for some unknown reason the pain doesn''t seem so bad as when I dont. Use pads instead of tampons. Neorofen is by far the best meds to keep pain under control. take a hot bath- take a few 3 tablets and go sleep it off. Hope it helps and know you are not alone.

Reply to Mary