Posted by: Katie | 2011-10-10

Extreme Tiredness but It''s Only my Iron?

Hi doc, I had blood tests done last week (as well as a test on my liver, kidneys and thyroid) because I am extremely tired (I fall asleep at 20:30, I wake up on the weekends and go back to sleep a couple of hours later- sometimes I nap twice on a Saturday or Sunday). I knew I had an iron deficiency which I told my doc and she says the only thing wrong with me is my iron- I''m not anaemic but it is quite low. I am currently on Mirelle and she is going to put me on Nordette. Surely this can''t be the only thing wrong with me, especially as I have told my doc that I''ve tried iron suppliments and molases and it didn''t really make a difference. Are there any other tests I can do? It''s ruining my life!!!

A low iron count can make you feel extremely tired and take that the reason for your low iron, is excessive menstrual bleeding. You can ask your doctor to test for chronic bacterial, viral and parasitic infections. Add vitamins and micro-elements to your diet, especially selenium, zinc, calcium and magnesium.