Question
Posted by: Pac (Wo)Man | 2009-09-30

Extreme " need"  to eat after evening workouts

I work out 7 days a week  during weekdays in the evening after work for about 1h30min. This consist of weight training of about 30-45min (legs, abs or arms) and 1h of cardio (jogging, stepping, cross training, rowing, cycling, skipping) Thereafter I have supper as soon as I get home.

THEN, from about an hour after that I tend to feel like I NEED TO eat more. It' s a weird feeling to explain- I feel sort of " driven"  to get food, like a wild animal stalking prey. This feeling doesn' t bug me over weekends, when my workouts are in the morning before lunchtime. I' ve also gained about 2kg since I started with this specific excercise regime 3-4 months ago.

What could the reasons for this " drive to find food"  be and how can I handle it? At the moment I' m resorting to eating cereals with milk or yoghurt anywhere between 8pm &  12pm, which I' m not sure is ideal. Also, I don' t particularly like feeling this way, since I feel that I sabotage my day' s work by having carbs that late in the evening... =(

By the way - I' m 1.65m tall, weigh about 52.5kg and my body fat % is around 18%.

Thank you in advance!

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi PacWomen

You are expecting your body to do a huge amount of work (training) while not giving it sufficient food to do so!
Try the following: for each hour of training you need to take about 35-40 g carbohydrates with about 10g protein (best is the peptide format – like PeptoPro) and drink that while you are training and within 30-45 minutes after you training take a protein shake with 2:1 ratio of protein to carbs and low in fat – try this and you will not believe the results. Please only eat normal food within 1-2 hours after your liquid food meals. This is the best food you can give your body while training and you will certainly not be nearly that hungry later on when it is time to eat your normal food.

The cereals with milk/ yoghurt are fine – just make sure it is a low GI version and it is fat free diary.
Lastly, carbs late at night cannot make you fat! It is your total intake of calories that will. After such a hard training session you need carbs to fill your glycogen stores again! Even if you eat only 2-3 T of rice and lentils that will be great!

I know if you make these changes your life will change! Good Luck!
Vanessa