Question
Posted by: Bronwyn | 2012/02/07

Extreme pain in lower leg when trying to jog / run

I am hoping you can assist me. I am a beginner walker / want to be jogger, runner. Walking seems to be great, no problem. The problem seems to arise when I jog for a few meters or run a few meters –  I seem to develop an extreme pain on the outside of my calf muscle (the outside of my leg) strange and it also seems to swell. The pain gets so bad that even if I try to stretch it out it really hurts. The pain usually subsides within a few minutes once I have stopped walking / running
I have brought new tackies last year November 2011 –  I went to a running shop and told the owner (who is a runner about what I am doing, etc.) He measured and checked my feet and gave me a Nike shoe. I am not a light woman –  I have weight on me (105kg and 179tall)and that is why I am walking and trying to maybe get into jogging or running but I can’ t deal with this pain. I have even noticed that my ankles look like they also swell then I have jogged.
Is there something I can do to prevent this pain?
Is this pain something I need to worry about?
Could there be something wrong with the shoe? But like I have said I only got them a few months ago

Bronwyn

It is possible that you have poor blood circulation. The pain can be an eschemic pain, caused by a lack of oxygen to the muscles of the calf. You will have to consult your doctor for an examination, as it is very important to exclude a vascular reason for your pain.

It is however, also possible that you shoes are the cause or even poor fitness.