Posted by: MM | 2011-11-06

EXTREME Mood swings

I URGENTLY NEED HELP!!! I think I am losing my mind. I considder myself to be the biggest loser!!!!
At times I can go from being extremely happy, full of energy and relaxed to EXTREMELY angry, tired (or maybe lazy) and depressed in " 60 seconds flat" . This'' been going on for a couple of years now...
I have always been very critical of myself and at times hate myself so much that I think about taking my own life. The only thing that keeps me going is my fiancé , kids and grand daughter. However I can see that my mood swings is getting to my fiancé . I now believe that this is the reason he cheated on me before...
Believe me, these feelings are not by choice... When I wake up in the morning, I make a concious desission to be happy and positive today, just to be negative, depressed and angry later on. I lose my " cool"  very quickly but can bounce back just as quickly. By the time I go to bed I am exhausted!!!!

I tend to get very paranoid about certain symptoms. I presume as a result of family history (brain tumor &  stroke) and the fact that I was diagnosed with cancer in 1998 but, I was one of the lucky ones and still " clean" . However, each and every lump and bump makes me paranoid. I am trying to quit smoking but I can''t even do that WITH the help of Champix. At times I do so well (none or 1 smoke a day) untill I have a day like today. I''ve smoked a packet today!!!!! This makes me feel like such a loser.

I don''t want to feel like this anymore. I don''t want to annoy people with my mood swings anymore and WANT HELP!!

So you have poor self-esteem and self-confidence, and a volatile mood ? Sounds like a lot of anxiety, maybe some depresion, and self-medication with tobacco. See at least a GP, preferably a good local psychiatrist for a proper asessment and a discussion of your treatment options, which may include medication and counselling.

Posted by: Totally Understand | 2011-11-19

I understand what your talking about. For me, it''s like a gremlin lives in my head pushing a button that instantly changes my mood.
Like you, I make a concious decision to be happy in the morning and plan my entire day so that I know exactly what''s going to happen at what time so that things are less likely to trigger a down swing.
This in itself is incredibly tiring!

It''s very difficult to live with and I am very difficult to live with myself which causes me a lot of guilt for the confusion and hurt I have caused to the people around me.

Recently, I''ve started taking St.Johns Wort which is a herbal medication. It seems to help, it doesn''t make the moods go away but I feel that it''s easier for me to take a deep breath, take a step back and explain to whoever close around me that I need to take a sit down and a cup of tea.

I''m also doing a bit of research into what daily activities help me maintain a more normal mood! For instance, before a night out, I will have a nice warm shower whilst listening (and most of the time singing along to) really cheesy radio. This seems so set a nice, chilled out mood which allows me to relax and have a good evening.

MM, I really do feel for you as extreme mood swings are horrible and effect us in so many different ways. for years I felt useless as I couldn''t seem to hold onto the most basic of full time work and it was horrible watching other people be able to just get on with it wondering why I seem to find that so difficult.

I''ve only recently started talking to my loved ones about what''s going on and it''s a massive weight off my shoulders.

Reply to Totally Understand