Question
Posted by: Neil | 2008-12-09

Extreme leg pain

Hi Doctor

After I ran 4km this morning I felt extreme pain in my calves, not the muscle itself  its on the inside of my legs but it feels like the pain originates in the bone. I dont think its shin splints as I' ve had that before, this is a different kind of pain.

I run 3-4km 3 times a week to make up the cardio portion of my exercise program.

Please help!!!

Hi Neil

It's impossible to say for sure. It's not that unusual for people to develop very sore calves when running, and part of it is that the muscle is not used to the load - that said, I'm not sure how long you've been running your 3 days a week, and so that's a little bit speculative.

I'm also not 100% clear on where the pain is exactly - on the inside of the shin bone, sounds like? But that's obviously important. So while I hate to pass the buck, this is the kind of thing that you can only really attempt to solve by seeing a doctor or a physio, who can ask these questions and have a proper look at you to diagnose the problem correctly.