Posted by: Worried | 2012-02-03

Extreme hair loss

Dear Doc.
I am extremely concerned about the amount of hair I lose daily. This was never a concern until about 2 months ago, when things started to get out of hand (literally). Each time I wash my hair I end up with an amount of hair loss equal to a small tennis ball. When I comb my hair, I daily have to remove large amounts of hair from my brush.

Some background about my lifestyle (if this will help) you to help me

1. I drink a multivitamin daily 
2. I have my hair cut every six weeks and do a home color, I use a dark brown tint (no peroxide) 
3. I have been using the same shampoo for years (Tresemme) 
4. I eat fruit and veggies daily 
5. I am 27.

What can the cause of this be and how can I treat/prevent it.

Hairloss is a difficult subject and I therefore suggest that you consult a dermatologist for an examination and treatment as soon as possible. Blood tests can also be done to exclude hypothyroidism or a hormonal cause for your hairloss.