Question
Posted by: Hello | 2011/09/19

extra personalities

Just as in multiple personality disorder, i guess personalities created by a person to cope with certain situations in life. Do you think a person can create a personality to specifically ''perform'' a certain kind of work, one that is so against their character/intelligence/nature. To actually ''force'' a seperate personality to occur, to be able to perform/learn a specific vocation? I hope you understand what i''m asking. If so, could temporarily adopting this seperate personality when needed, cause the person major stress/anxiety? As this isn''t their true self but a creation. Thankyou very much.

There is absolutely no such thing as Multiple Personality Disorder ( as I have written about at length in a major international textbook ). It is an artifact produced by naive and credulous "therapists" to entertain themselves. People don't create any genuine "personalities" Within our single personality, we do indeed develop different styles of reacting to other people, depending on circumstances - we behave a bit differently in church than in the supermarket ( hopefully ! I wouldn't like to see so many trolleys left in the aisle !)
We may choose to express or supporess individual aspects of our basic character in special situations. A surgeon who is a compassionate softy when playing with her dog, may and should be more calm and objective while operating. Those are not different personalities - just showing different aspects of the same personality.
Your personality is like a fancy diamond, with many different facets which can reflect light in different ways.
It'd be easier to respond if in a fresh message you could be more clear about the details of the situation you are thinking of. If any job or vocation feels so alien to you that you feel major personality-surgery would be needed, its probably a really bad choice for you as vocation. Choose again. But within any work choice, we can indeed learn to cope with aspects we find initially disagreeable.
As in Anon's example, that's nothing to do with personalities, but coping with the demands of a situation, and entirely, totally, normal

2

When I started at the co I work for, I had to do psychometric tests. The psychologist that did the feedback told me that (and that is the truth) I get my energy from art, music, literature, nature. People make me tired. Yet I work with people every day all day and she was quite surprised that I pull it off so well. When I go home I am bushed, I tell you that, but yes, I do think it is possible to have one personality at work and another at home. I think its called acting, maybe even pretending, but, I am good at what I do and I achieve quite a lot so yes, I do think It is possible.