Question
Posted by: Jacques | 2010/03/16

Extensive drug use and the mind

Good day,

My brother has has on numerous occasions been diagnosed with addiction ranging from excessive Cocaine, Alcohol and Gambling addiction. He has been to rehab twice, and he is attending meetings and has made mental breakthroughs about his past and highlighted things that possibly drove him to the addiction in order to suppress these emotions.

More recently we have noticed on some days that he comes home and looks as though he has either been drinking or could be on something. We have occasionally tested him, and he was clear.

My question is whether it is possible that after extensive drug abuse over about 10 to 15 years that the mind at intervals generate chemicals which could mimic or affect the person looking as though he has been using?

J

Expert ImageArchive

Greetings

It is good to hear that your brother is attending meetings and that he has made some mental breakthroughs.

If you say that you have tested your bother for drug use, but that the results were negative, then you can rest assure that he is clean.

Your question is "whether it is possible that after extensive drug abuse over about 10 to 15 years that the mind at intervals generate chemicals which could mimic or affect the person looking as though he has been using?"

In all my years of dealing with addiction and being a recovering addict myself, I have never heard of anything even closely resembling behaviour like this.

What I have encountered, is that families and friends often suspect an addict or alcoholic of a relapse, even if they haven't.

Look, sometimes they are right. But you must remember that after years of living with an addict, or being a friend of one, you can't help but being suspicious.

It is a well-known fact that addicts hold family and friends "hostage" when using. Their using has a long-term effect on the people around them, even when the addict stops using.

It is therefore recommended that they also attend a Twelve Step Programme, such as Alanon, or Narcanon, specifically aimed at families, friends and partners of the addict.

You can Google them and see where the nearest meeting is held near you. They do remarkable work and over the years,I have seen many people change and grow through the group therapy at these meetings.

On the other hand, you suspicions might not be unfounded. But you are powerless, quite frankly, over his recovery. This is why it is an option to attend Alanon or Narcanon.

If you'd like to discuss this further you can phone Taryn on Tel: 021 790 7779 or email her on taryn@harmonyclinic.co.za

Herman

1
Posted by: Addictions Expert Forum | 2010/03/16

Greetings

Herman

Reply to Addictions Expert Forum