Posted by: dw | 2009-10-01

express myself

Hi. I have had this problem for many years. I cant seem to be able to express myself. When I am talking, I cant think of the word/s I want to use. I eventually have to try and get across my thoughts using more basic words. I am not articulate at all. It is affecting my life, job and relationships. How can I improve this?

Sometimes this happens because we just haven't had the opportunirty to learn how to express ourselves well. Or i may be that we have a variety of social anxiety disorder, so we feel too anxious, in company, to express thoughts we could otherwise utter. And some of us have a problem called Alexithymia, which means that we have a specific difficulty in expressing EMOTIONAL felings and ideas, in words --- as though we lack the vocabulary for doing so. So a proper assessment by a shrink is important, to clarify what sort of problem we are dealing with , and , thus, the best way to deal with it. Speech therapy can help one to learn to speak more fluently and confidently ; CBT can help improve self-confidence, and eradicate social anxiety ; and so on.