Question
Posted by: D | 2009/04/03

Explanation

Hi Doc,

Ever since I was little I discovered I can' t read in motion, as reading while in a car, train, taxi etc is in motion. My eyes feel like their imploding, my head feels like its about to burst and the nausea is quite hectic, I only ever puked once, because since then I just dont read in motion. Fine print is the worst, bigger is a little ok.
I can' t really tell if its psychological or medical problem, cos I can' t remember further than my puking incident and I was probably about 10 years old or even younger to trace back. I am now 33 years old.

Another question off the previous topic, whenever someone mentions a person has died whom I knew I get this cold shivers starting from my neck and engulfing my entire body..is this a fear of death or the unknown?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

I used to suffer from this as well, when young, and it was a trial as I was a determined reader. But then some of us get car-sick as a form of motion sickness anyway, and perhaps the added strain of trying to fous on a moving page may just add to that effect.
Its not really apsychological problem, though it might be exaggerated by psychological factors. I found it cleared up as I grew older, and varied with means of transport. I still have difficulty reading in a car, but at medical school, had a long train journey, and got loads of good reading done in the train.
Getting the shivers when hearing of someone who has died is psyhologial and not serious, and probably does represent a fear of death and the unknown. I'm guessing this happens when they talk of someone you knew, not someone who died thousands of years go ?

3
Posted by: D | 2009/04/06

Hi Cybershrink,

Thanks for your reply, yes it only happens if its someone I know. Well since reading in motion has prolonged this long, I gather I will probably have to live with it, I have tried but the nausea and headache is just too overpowering, since then I think sometimes it borders a little on being a phobia of not wanting to experience the negative effects.

I don' t think I fear death itself, I rather fear the unknown!

Once again thank you!

Reply to D
Posted by: D | 2009/04/03

Well it would be kinda convincing if it happened at the exact time of death and not when its mentioned whenever

Reply to D
Posted by: nutjobdelux | 2009/04/03

" I get this cold shivers starting from my neck and engulfing my entire body..is this a fear of death or the unknown?" 
-
i believe the expression is " someone just walked over your grave" 

Reply to nutjobdelux