Question
Posted by: David | 2011/05/16

Existential crisis/angst

I am a 37 year old male and currently battling a huge existential crisis. Although I have always had an inquisitive and questioning attitude towards life I lately feel that my thinking habits are currently dangerously drifting into the event horizon of a blackhole. I do not have control of my thinking and I involuntarily question and analise everything to the point to where nothing makes sense anymore and life seems like an absurd mathematical equation. Although a lot of what I ponder about is abstract in nature a good analogy to describe my condition would be that instead of hearing and appreciating the beauty of Beethoven''s 5th symphony, all I hear is a bunch of musical notes vibrating at different frequencies. I question and analise my thoughts, my senses, my emotions, my surroundings, the nature of space-time and the very essence of my being to the point where everything becomes deconstructed and absurd and all that is left is sense of free-floating anxiety. I sometimes feel like I have discovered a deeper " truth"  about the nature of being - almost an inverted enlightenment. Most people do not understand my dilemma and my friends and family sometimes reprimand me for becoming anxious and depressed about things that do not constitute a realistic problem with a pragmatic solution. I try to keep myself busy with lots of activities to keep these proverbial wolves at bay but even when I am engaged in an activity that requires intense concentration (such as playing a Chopin etude on the piano) these nihilistic thoughts still haunt me. I have also tried to find solace in religion but it just opens up another dimension of questions and mental exhaustion.

I understand what you're talking about, and indeed over-thinking, and over-analyzing can ruin the spontaneous and natural enjoyment of life. But there can actually be quite a number of possible causes for such a situation, each responding best to different interventions. What would be really best would be for you to see a good local psyhologist for a comprehensive assessment, and, if appropriate, a diagnosis or identification of the problem(s), and then explore what would most help.

1