Posted by: Kiki | 2009-09-10

exersice for weight loss

Hi there,
Pls can you advise. I have just started my ' health'  regime. I have 4 kgs to lose and I want to tone as well. Being a working mom I do not have that much time on my hands so I am doing the following:
every morning (mon-Fri) I have a 45 minute routine consisting of 15 mins on the trampoline, abs work out, arms work out (With dumbells), squats and calf raises.
In addition I play squash twice a week (45-60 min sessions).

Is this enough to get the weight loss going or do i need to do somthing else?
My eating habits are good but I have hypoglycemia &  low blood pressure so i seem to eat a little more when i exersice. can you also recommend some low fat, energy foods that will help with my dizzy spells (at the moment a snacker, just before my work out does the trick).

Thanks for your help!

Hi Kiki

Difficult to say. People respond so differently to training, some lose weight fast, others do not. In general, you are doing some things right, like the number of days of training is good (4 to 6 is recommended) and the overall length of training seems good too.

One thing I would look at is the length of cardio work you're doing - a lot of what you do is high intensity training, lasting a short time. Even squash for 60 minutes might be only 15 minutes of hard sustained exercise, because of the nature of the game. High intensity, yes, but not ideal for weight loss. Here, longer is probably better. So you might benefit a lot from a sustained session or two, like a walk or a jog, lasting 45 to 60 minutes, twice a week.

Finally, on the diet, this is vital, and needs attention. The fact that you eat more when you exercise means that you might be undoing your exercise benefits, and that's obviously not good. So I would say you might need to look at your diet, and the best person to do that is a dietician.