Posted by: Cindy | 2010-06-21

exericses for sore hip

I''ve had problems with my one hip for a few months now. I have been to many doctors and for x-rays but no one can seem to find out what is wrong. They suspect snapping hip syndrome. although a lot of the pain has gone and I can walk fine without a limp, it only hurts when I walk long distances. I would like to go back to exercising, but not sure what is safe to do and what isn''t. Would swimming be gentle on my hip? I''m 26 year old female.

Hi Cindy

Swimming would be very good, yes. It is non weight bearing activity, which is probably important.

I'm not sure it's a long term solution, unless you really want to swim and love it. But it's a good place to start. I'm a bit perplexed by the difficulty diagnosing your injury though. You might benefit from strengthening the leg muscles and your core - Pilates might be really good for you. That plus swimming would be a good start. Of course, if Pilates makes it worse, then you just ease off, but you'll also have learned something about the injury, that it may be related to your trunk. So it's worth doing from that point of view as well.