Posted by: josie | 2011-04-20

exercising with high blood pressure

I am 60. I have been on a beta blocker for 2 months. I am unfit. Can I exercise on a treadmill or job slightly around the block without having to worry that I will drop dead

Hi Josie

You can, yes, but obviously there are some small concerns. Not things that should discourage you, because exercise is a super way to get fit and healthy and has many proven benefits for people with high BP.

However, it's important to be cautious and the best thing is to do this in consultation with a doctor - have a risk assessment upfront, a medical screen that says you are good to go, a stress ECG of the heart and then you'll be fine to exercise.

The beta-blocker can affect exercise, in that it obviously affects heart rate and function. However, you can still exercise within the guidelines and if you start out easy, then it is possible to train pretty normally even on medication.

So while I hate making this sound more complex, the way to do it is to see a doctor, have a few tests and then start safely!