Question
Posted by: LovingOwner | 2009-12-08

Exercising with Boston Terrier: Good/bad?

We have a 4 year old, energetic, well-behaved, very loving and healthy Boston Terrier.

Both my husband and I am avid runners and we' d like to take our baby running with us but first want to make sure it won' t be detrimental to his health in any way. I can imagine the basic precautions would be not to let him overheat or overexert himself and to obviously slowly build up his fitness level. He is trained to stay next to me when on a leash and he isn' t aggressive towards other people or dogs so I don' t think there' ll be a problem in that regard. I just want to make sure we won' t be doing any damage to his health.

What precautions do we need to take? Is his bone structure, feet, back etc equipped to handle running? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Dear Loving Owner

They can overheat quickly and as far as I know they are not the best runners. Unless you go very slow or are over 70 I suspect a good run will be a little bit to much.

5
Posted by: tsk | 2009-12-11

the people and the vet on this Forum are a bunch of degenerates.

Get a life...

Reply to tsk
Posted by: LovingOwner | 2009-12-10

Thank you for your replies.

Tsk: I am well aware of them overheating easily thus mentioning it in my original post. We were only thinking of short distances during the early morning or late afternoon when it' s not so hot outside anymore.

I actually wanted to know whether there is risks to his back or knees, feet or anything else other than the overheating aspect. I think since you also own Bostons you know that they are much more active and energetic than their similar looking counter parts (pugs and Bulldogs) Our Boston loves being outside and playing and he keeps us quite busy and we think it' s great. I just thought some more excercise, done safely, could be benificial to him like it is to us humans.

Chill: Thanks for the reminder! I agree I think few people are aware of that fact. Owners leaving pets in cars is one of my biggest pet-peeves (excuse the pun). I also wanted to say that I always appreciate your knowledge and well thought out replies. I' m just a lurker in these forums and one of the biggest reasons I enjoy reading them is for the knowledge you share. Thanks.

Cybervet: Thank you. Not sure if you' ll come back and read this but I' ll comment anyway:

lol I' m happy to report that I am not over 70. (-: I think the best would be to ask our vet since I realize each dog is different. (Our Boston is seeing him next week for his yearly check-up.) I was just impatient for an answer so I thought I' d pose the question here. I actually think our Boston is a great runner if I look at his stamina when we play fetch. I do not want to push our love for running on him though if it' s going to be endangering him. As I said above I just thought it might be a healthy option for him to stay active like it is for us humans. I agree though that he probably won' t be running any long distances or speed challenges with us but I would' ve enjoyed doing a leasurely 2k' s or so as his daily walk.

Reply to LovingOwner
Posted by: Cybervet | 2009-12-10

Dear Loving Owner

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2009-12-09

Sounds like a good question to me - I' ll be interested in what the cybervet has to say.

One thing: some people don' t know that a heavily panting dog CANNOT drink - they have to cool off to a level where the panting subsides a bit - first, they then drink a bit at a time, and only when they' re back to almost normal, can they drink enough for their needs.

I' ve seen people return to their car with overheated exhausted dogs, offer them water, and when the dog turns away, say ' oh well, he doesn' t want any' .

Dangerous!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: tsk | 2009-12-09

Hi - I dont think its a good idea to run long distances with ur Boston. I have 2 Bostons and always take them for walks but they do overheat and need to drink lots of water. Their short muzzles cause problems.

Reply to tsk