Posted by: pix | 2009-02-18

Exercising with a cold

I have a head cold at the moment with a bit of a sore throat &  am wondering if it' s ok to carry on with my daily exercise. I hate missing a session but also don' t want to cause health problems if it' s not safe - I' ve heard too many differing opinions on this &  would like to know what yours is!

It's true, exercising when ill can cause some very serious consequences, even death, and the reason is that it's always wise to err on the side of caution. The reason for the deaths is that a viral or bacterial infection can very easily spread to the heart, and cause myocarditis - infection of the heart muscle. that's the main one.

The best guide to use when ill is the neck test - if your symptoms are above the neck (stuffy nose, headaches, a bit of congestion, slightly sore throat), then it's USUALLY okay to do a bit of exercise, but at a substantially reduced intensity and duration. In otherwords, if your training programme says to go and do 60 minutes of hard running followed by gym, forget that and rather do 20 minutes of running and no gym! It sounds as though your symptoms, at this stage, anyway, would allow this. HOwever, obviously by the time you read this, that may have changed and you might feel worse, in which case the section below might apply.

If your symptoms are below the neck - sore joints, aching muscles, general fatigue, chest hurting, then under no circumstances should you exercise at all. It could be very very risky, and it's not worth that. So in that case, stay in and spend your energy fighting off the flu.

Having said all this, I'm still a big believer that you should always rest if sick, even if it feels like a minor illness and you pass the 'neck test'. The reason is that your being sick is another stress on the body - you need to deal with it, not add exercise to double that stress. And so even though it may be safe to exercise when sick under some circumstances, I'm not convinced that it's the best in the long term, simply because it will delay your recovery to 100% in many cases. So two days off now may end up saving a forced one week later, if you follow my logic. Of course, this is easier said than done, but that's what I would TRY to do!