Posted by: Need to know | 2009-03-25

Exercising while using antibiotics

Hi, can you please explain to me why it is dangerous to exercise while taking antibiotics? How long after using it, must you wait before taking up your execise program? Is all types of exercise out of the question or can you at least do something that does not up your heart rate?

It's not necessarily harmful because of the anti-biotics, but because the fact that you're taking anti-biotics usually means you're carrying an infection. Depending on what that infection is, you could be taking quite a large risk.

For example, if you have a root canal procedure at the dentist, they prescribe anti-biotics, and it's fine to exercise as normal. However, if the anti-biotics are for a secondary infection as a result of having a virus or something like that, then it's risky, because of the virus, not the drugs.

So it depends on the situation. My advice is that if you're ill, and taking anti-biotics, rather wait until the course is over, and then some, because you're better off getting completely healthy. Better safe than sorry. HOwever, that's not to say you can't do light exercise. Just that you have to be cautious about it.