Question
Posted by: tjc | 2009-02-17

exercising lots and eating lots

hey diet doc!

Im 15 years old, 164cm tall, and 56kg -57kg and i exersice a lot, i walk around 20km a day, and somtimes i do stomach exersices. but i eat lots like around 3000cal a day.. and i dont put on weight. but is it good for me to eat that much? i eat lots of fruit, vegies and legumes as i am a vegatarian.

Also i have been counting calories for over 2 years and i now want to stop counting calories as it has become a habbit, that controls my life! i know all the calories in pretty much everything. PLEASE help me to break this habbit. What could i do??
thanks!!

Dear TJC
Your present BMI = 20,8 which is super. The fact that you exercise a lot is the reason why you get hungry and need those 3000 kcal per day. You need to take a decision to stop counting kilocalories from now on because it can easily develop into an obsession which is a step away from an eating disorder. So do your exercise and eat your vegetarian diet (making sure that you are getting enough calcium, iron, zinc, vitamin B12 and omega-3 fatty acids!) and enjoy the fact that you are young and slim.

2
Posted by: laser | 2009-02-17

Hi tjc

It sounds as though you have physically healthy habits, but are more concerned about your psychological state - possibily being a bit compulsive with counting and controlling your calories. Perhaps Cybershrink would be more helpful with the mental stuff.

Best wishes :)

Reply to laser
Posted by: Maxi | 2009-02-17

why you so worried, if you are exercising this much and not putting on weight then its fine, means you are burning enough calories, seems to me that you eat very healthy. so what if you are counting calories, its a good habit, makes you aware of what you are eating. dont stress too much!

Reply to Maxi