Question
Posted by: Sandra | 2010-08-13

Exercising and weight loss

Hi, I have been training alot, but I am not losing any weight. I am a runner and did approximately 80km per week, and never lost 1 kg. I then stopped running for 2 months. (in which time i picked up another 2 kg.) I then started training again, and am currently doing a gym workout 4x per week for 1 hour, running between 5 and 10km 3 times per week, and swimming for 1 hour 2x per week. I have been doing this for 3 weeks, and still I have not lost a single gram. I do not eat like a pig, and generally am carefull about what I eat. What can be the problem? Why does the weight just sit? Should I have insulin levels and thyroid checked? Please help me.

Dear Sandra
You did not provide me with your weight in kg and height in metres so that I can calculate your BMI to get an estimate of how overweight you really are. If the running is developing a lot of muscle tissue then you may not lose weight and even gain a bit because muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue. If you are overweight and have a BMI of more than 25 and all this exercise is not leading to any weightloss then it may be a good idea to have your thyroid and insulin levels checked, but only if you are truly overweight. If your weight is within the normal range, take your measurements every week to see if you are losing cm.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-08-14

Dear Sandra