Question
Posted by: Chi | 2008/10/13

Exercises with ankle injury

I have recently had a reoccurance of an old ankle injury. A few years ago i tore ligaments in my ankle quite badly. I have been doing a lot of running recently and my ankle has flaired up again - been slightly swollen, very sore to walk on.
I would like to continue going to gym however do not want to worsten my injury. Is there any cardio work i can do which will not be harmful? Tried swimming but it was still pretty painful.
At the moment I' m icing the ankle, using Voltaren gel and a fabric support.

Hi Chi

Usually, a few days off, and then a return to training at a lower level than before is enough to sort out the problem. It seems that a big part of your problem is the high volume of running you've been doing - that's obviously made worse by the fact that you have this weak ankle as a result of a previous injury.

So you have to be especially careful about not overdoing it. My advice would be to spend a week playing around with other kinds of training - cycling, the stair machine, the eliptical trainer. This will take the load off and help keep your fitness levels up, and also give you some variety. If they hurt, then you probably need a rest of a week, so that the damage can heal. And you just have to find the limit, where the pain starts, and then avoid it.

I hope that helps - just be patient, don't force it and I'm sure it will be OK.