Question
Posted by: Kitty | 2011/01/25

Exercises for Lower Back Strengthening

Good day. Diet doc said I should ask you for some exersices I can do for 1. My stomach...a whole lotta fat in that area that I need to get rid of. She did sugest the diet and food preferences, so I need some exercised to help. Also, I''ve got this back ache constantly bothering me. I know it is the lower back muscles that''s very...how do you say...unfit or stiff or whatever. Not sure how to say it in english. Needless to say, I need some exercises that will also strengthen by lower back muscles.

Can you advise please?

Regards,
K

Hi Kitty

Regarding your stomach, this is perhaps the most common question, even those who exercise regularly. It’s particularly troublesome as we get older, because we lose muscle mass and that makes it more and more difficult to combat the body’s frustrating tendency to store fat, which is really the problem here. Our genes determine where that fat is deposited, which is why some people battle with the stomach, others with arms or thighs.

Regardless of the location, the key is a combination of proper exercise and careful diet. Proper exercise means avoiding the myth that you can spot reduce. That is, there is a perception that you can target specific areas for fat loss by doing very specific exercise. Unfortunately, a million sit-ups a day is not the sole solution. It certainly has a beneficial effect, as I’ll explain, but by itself is not the solution. So rather than becoming pre-occupied on one area, your aim should be to increase metabolic rate – that’s how you burn fat. You do through regular cardiovascular exercise, which includes cycling, aerobics, taebo, spinning, walking or jogging.

You should then combine this with some weight training. Weight training, which includes sit-ups, is helpful because it increases muscle mass (which has the long-term effect of raising metabolic rate) and because it literally helps create more muscle. More muscle means a more toned appearance. Just doing sit-ups is a start, but you can raise the impact by doing a variety of exercises that target different abdominal muscles. I’d suggest speaking to a trainer at the gym to discover these.

Finally, remember that diet is the great “enabler”. That's why it's good that you've been given some advice by Dietdoc. You might consider taking this a level up and actually seeing someone who can give you very specific advice after meeting you. As good as DietDoc is, there is no substitute for actually meeting and discussing it.

Re the back pain - do you have access to Pilates classes? That would be the best, because they're supervised and complete. I can't prescribe activities on this forum, so you'd need someone to show you what exercises to do, but they'll all come from a Pilates type routine, whic I really think would be helpful for you.

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/01/31

Hi Kitty

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc