Question
Posted by: olivia | 2012-02-21

exercise time

Hi, I am a 27 year old women, who is about 45kg overweight. I have joined weigh-less recently. I own my own business, and is rather busy. What is the correct amount of time for me to exercise. I have not exercised in the last two years. I have a treadmill and a health walker. Will it help my weight-loss if I exercise 30min a day. I cannot exercise for 1 - 2 hours a day, I need that time to run my business. I really am commited to lose this weight, but i need to be realistic with my exercise routine as well.

Any advice will be appreciated. Regards, Olivia.

Hi Olivia

I think starting out, do all that you can do - if that's 3 days a week, because of time constraints, then that's what you do. If it's 4 days a week, then even better. Once it gets down to 2 days a week, then it starts to become a problem, and time to start looking at the week and seeing if you can find ways to get an extra day or two - there's always a point where you have to prioritize when it comes to training and so if you're serious about this weight loss, that's what it takes!

So yes, 30 minutes, at least 4 times per week is where to start. Expect change to happen slowly - you'll find that nothing happens, but don't panic - it's because it takes a few weeks, sometimes a month to get over the initial bump and then once you're fitter and able to train that little bit harder, things accelerate. You can do enough in about 45 minutes per day, provided you're consistent and do it frequently enough.

And don't forget diet - I know you're on weight less, but there are many small things that can make big differences and so that's something to consider too - if you can see a dietician, get a bit of advice on that, then it can really help. In fact, I'd say that now, in the early days, diet is more important than exercise.

Ross