Question
Posted by: Ella | 2011-09-26

Exercise Regime

Hi Doc, I’ ve decided that I want to get fit and fab for good now. My current regime is as follows: Monday- 40 minutes on the treadmill (if I push I burn 500 calories, according to the machine). Tuesday- 20 minutes treadmill (between 200-250 calories burnt), upper body weights. Wednesday- 20 minutes treadmill (between 200-250 calories burnt), lower body weights. Thursday- no gym as I leave work late. Friday- 40 minutes treadmill, weights all over body. Weekend- casual exercise (walk the dog, house work, etc). I am very time restricted, so I am usually at gym for about 40 minutes to 1 hour. I have started seeing results, however as I have been gymming since June I feel my results are very small. I haven’ t lost any weight, I haven’ t lost centimeters but I can see my body shape changing. I am not overweight, within the lower end of normal BMI. From last week, I focused on getting my diet right, but what can I do exercise wise to get that fitness model look (not the bulky look, I must still look feminine).

Hi Ella

I think your results sound reasonable, I can appreciate that you want to see the numbers come down, but that can often take time. I think a lot of people stop after a few months, when the good results were just around the corner.

having said that, if your BMI is on the lower end of normal, then I must "warn" that losing weight is going to be very difficult. It's often hard to lose 1kg when you're already in the normal range, much more difficult than it is to lose 10kg when you're over that range. So be patient, focus not on that number, but on fitness and strength and your appearance. Those are things you've seen change, so just keep that front and center of your mind and you'll get there!

I think the one change you might want to look at is to get more high intensity training into the programme. At the moment, it sounds like you're doing a lot of steady cardio, which is good, and that should remain your focus, but if you can introduce short periods of harder work, it can often help. So for example, if you do that 40 min session, instead of doing it one-paced, try to alternate fast with slow. 2 minutes of faster running than normal, 3 minutes slower, repeated 8 times. Same thing on a 20 min session. Obviously, not every day, because you have to be prudent and not overdo it, but that's the kind of thing that often makes a big difference!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011-10-02

Hi Ella

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc