Question
Posted by: Ella | 2011/10/03

Exercise Regime 2

Hi Doc,

thanks for your quick reply!!! :)

I do vary speed and incline when I do my treadmill, but not the way you say (I usually do incline 12, speed 6-6.5 until I reach 100 calories, slow down a bit then carry on at high incline until I reach 200 calories then take it slow from there). So I will do as you recommend.

May I also point out (something that I should''ve done) that I am very much a pear shape and have a lot of excess fat. I know that muscle burns fat, so I will continue to do weights but would you then recommend that I add more cardio to burn the fat?

Hi Ella

Sorry for not being as quick this time - work pressures kind of force me into "phases" of answering sooner and sometimes later! hope I can still help!

I think you'll benefit from that change, the only downside to using such a high incline is that you tend to really be "static" - it's like walking up a staircase. I would experiment with the speed AND the incline, maybe an incline of 6 allows you a speed of 9, for example, and you can find a happy medium!

As for the weights, I think for the short-term, the weight loss, the cardio is better. Of course, the weight training will help, but you'll see that benefit later on, once you've achieved those increases in muscle mass. They take a little longer, so focus on the cardio, keep the wheels turning on the weight training and then reassess in three months.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/10/13

Hi Ella

Reply to fitnessdoc