Question
Posted by: Exercise program newbee | 2009/02/02

Exercise program

Hi, i dont have a personal trainer and am not clued up on exercise programs.

I want to firstly lose weight and secondly tone.

I am 27 years old, 1.65m tall and weighting (blush blush blush) 90Kg, I currently dont exercise.

Will the exercise program below (obviously with healthy eating) be sufficient exercise to lose and tone or do i need to add more?

HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training

Monday
HIIT (6 x 20 seconds high intensity/1 minute low intensity)

Tuesday
Weights/Toning Upper Body

Wednesday
Weights/Toning Lower Body

Thursday
Cardio (not HIIT) 1 hour

Friday

Saturday
Free Time!!! (was thinking of joining yoga/pilates or a dance class, some fun form of exercise...)

HI there

Good for you.

A couple of points.

I think you should split the week down the middle, with a rest day. Take wednesday off, and rather train on Saturday (with Sunday a rest day), because you really need to ease into it. Five days in a row is tough in the beginning. Eventually, you'll handle it easily, but for a start, better to be easy.

Other than that, it seems OK. You might play around with the days and try avoid two consecutive days of the same thing. At the moment, Tues and Wed are the same, you could shift the sessions to give you a cardio followed by weights session.

Hope that helps a little.