Posted by: Holy | 2008-11-27

Exercise on holiday

Hi, I have been following an exercise “ programme”  for the last 2 months, I see results and I really enjoy it.
Monday tot Friday mornings: Do strength training at a gym with a trainer for about 20min.
Monday to Friday afternoons: 60min Boot camp for women (this is a lot like the exercises we use to at school for hockey fitness or in school gym class).
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday: 5km run.

I eat healthy, but a lot.

My question: I am going on holiday from the 12th of December for about a month. I don’ t want to loose everything I did so far, because it happens to me every year! As soon as I don’ t have a structured routine, I get lazy.

We are going camping at the see, can you suggest a programme that I can follow to keep fit and toned this holiday? No swimming please.

Hi Holy

I would suggest you check out the FItness page of this site, click on "programmes" and then take your pick of what is available. I guess you have two options here.

You could choose one of these programmes, which are focused on running or cycling or swimming, and then spend the month holiday doing something completely different.

Your other option is to try to keep the same thing going that you have been doing for the last 2 months. That means that you set up the "boot camp" for yourself, which won't be too difficult for you. You have 2 weeks to figure out that plan, and maybe you should speak to the instructor and perhaps they'll even give you some exercises. But they'll have been doing drills and exercises with you, and there is no reason why you can't memorize maybe half a dozen of those, sit at your computer one night and put together your own boot camp.

I think the important thing from all this is that you should not aim to continue to build your fitness - it's very difficult to do this anyway, because it's the festive season, holiday time, lots of eating, lots of resting and relaxation. And you should embrace that, rather than try to discipline yourself to keep things going as normal. The point is, don't force the next month, just maintain. Then, come 2009, you'll be well rested and able to launch into the new year feeling even better than before.