Question
Posted by: Nic | 2008/09/04

Exercise intensity

I always thought that one should do long duration low intensity exercises to burn fat and loose weight. I recently read on the net that interval training is more effective because you burn more calories in a shorter time. Aren' t these calories coming from carbs and not fat. Isn' t fat only metabolised aerobicaly. Then low intesity workouts should be the most effective not right.
Thanx

Dear Nic
Basically aerobic exercise is exercise that promotes rapid energy release (e.g. running, skipping, rowing, cycling, etc) and it is generally regarded as more inclined to cause weightloss or fat loss than working with weights. Another factor that one should never forget is that by doing aerobic exercise it stimulates the basic metabolic rate of the body for up to 24 hours after the exercise session and thus continues to use up energy some of which is derived from the body's fat stores.