Question
Posted by: BELLA | 2012-03-12

EXERCISE FOR WEIGHT LOSS

Dear Fitness Doc
I''m trying to lose weight. I''ve changed my eating habits as I am well aware that 80% is diet and the rest exercise. I''ve been training with a Personal Trainer for almost 4 months now and expected greater results. I''m spending a fortune on training and all the fat burner supplements and and and. I train 5 days per week for 45 min sessions. I''m doing heavy weight training in all of my sessions with my heartrate above 70% if not higher. Is extreme weight training the way forward or should I do weights 3 times per week and more cardio?

Hi bella

I'm not sure what kind of results you're seeing? I hate to bring it up, but sometimes when expectations are not met, it's a function of the goal being too tight, and you might be on the right track. The reality is that weight loss takes a long time, and people often quit before they've had the time to succeed.

The supplements, I can assure you, are not needed, and so you can save a bit of money there. The diet, I hope, is going well, as you're right about it being most important.

You have to remember that in the first few months, you will see increases in muscle mass, an increase in blood volume, and this can account for a few kilograms. That often "hides" any losses, and again, people get despondent because of this, but things are on track. I think the key is to not worry about the number on the scale. My advice is to rather focus on getting fitter, stronger, and let the other things take care of themselves.

Just to answer your final question - you don't need extreme weight training, no. If that's what you're doing, then a change I'd suggest is more cardio, less of the heavy weight training. That helps a little, but at some stage, you need to get more cardio so that you shift the focus to weight loss.

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012-03-17

Hi bella

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: Bernie | 2012-03-14

Hi Bella, I am 25kg over weight. I work 5 times a week for 20 to 30 mins on cardio exercise machines using the weight loss programme in the heart rate training zone at 70% of my maximum heart rate. I exercise first thing in the morning before eating. My weight loss has been terrific. If you can''t exercise first thing in the morning, then do 20 minutes of strength training - doing lots of repetitions with lower weights ie use the weights that you are comfortable and do 5 sets of 10 reps instead of using a bigger weights and 2 sets of 10 reps. After the 20 mins of strength training do the 20 to 30 minutes of cardio as mentioned previously. This exercise programme together with approximately 2litres of water and a sensible eating plan you should see results quickly. Further note refrain from drinking soft drinks (even the light or zero), fruit juice and flavored water. Good luck

Reply to Bernie