Question
Posted by: Rhea | 2010/09/21

Exercise for Inslin resistance and weight loss

Good day

I am insulin resistance with the associated abdominal fat with BMI of 26 and would like some clarity please. I am aware that weight training is good however am confused with regards to aerobic activities. Some advice is to do high intensity activities and interval training while other contradict and advise that if the goal is fat loss then it is better to complete aerobic activity at 70% of target rate for appoximately 25 minutes 3 times a week.

What is the my best option?

Hi Rhea

The insulin resistance complicates the issue a little, but it doesn't change the fundamental approach you need to take on this one.

And the answer to your dilemma is that both pieces of advice are correct, because there isn't a manual that works for everyone here. Some people will respond far better to sustained activity, others to intervals. The interval session is good because you do raise the intensity above what you would achieve from a straight out 30 minute session, but it carries a higher risk of injury, which is why you have to 'compromise' by mixing interval days with much easier days (and rest days).

So if you have 3 days a week for cardio (in addition to resistance training), then I'd say 2 days of sustained, lower intensity training, and one day of intervals, will suffice for now. As you get fitter, you might replace one of those two with a second interval session. But let your progress, and above all, your enjoyment, guide you!

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/09/28

Hi Rhea

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: anna | 2010/09/22

please advice. cant loose weight

Reply to anna