Question
Posted by: Vicky | 2008/09/15

Exercise for heartpatients

HI
I have a history of heart disease and
Im currently about 20 kilos overweight, Please advise what are the best exercises i should do to lose weight, firm up and tone, I know i should do cardio, but what is that?
I will be joining a gym in the next 2 weeks, im hoping that will help,but i dont want to be self destructive.
Any suggestions?

Hi Vicky

It's important that you have an assessment first, because you have three of the risk factors for cardiovascular conditions - history, inactivity and you say you are overweight, so those three things mean you should look at having a doctor's check up before you start. Then what you do when you start is dependent on that check-up. It would be foolish and reckless of me to prescribe any kind of training like this, not knowing that diagnosis.

In terms of training though, I'd suggest you have a look at the programmes on this site (Fitness), by clicking on "Programmes" and then going through some of them. I think that the walking programmes are the best option to begin with, but again, only after you get that medical clearance.

good luck