Question
Posted by: Pamela | 2008/10/20

Exercise for abdominal fat

Thks for the wonderful answers. Like Jenna (nr 243) I am in the same boat as she, Im a widow, same age, granddaughter!!! etc. The only dif is I have Arthiritus and exercises is very painful.
I have a Health Walker, will it help for me??? Thats my only hope now. Thks.

HI Pamela

Well, the same principles apply, and it's the cardio training that is vital for you to achieve your goal.

GIven your arthritis, the problem is managing the load on your joints. You have to obviously look at the medical/treatment options at the same time, which I know are limited, but there are supplements like chondroitin sulfate that do seem to help with symptoms.

As for exercise, the health walker is one option, because of the low impact, so yes, make use of that. But don't exercise to the point where you are in pain. It might take some trial and error but you should be able to find the point where you can train without pain, and then you just need to stay at that point. And not go beyond it, instead allowing your body to gradually adapt and recover after training.

Another option you might consider is pool based training. Either swimming, pool running or aqua aerobics. I'm not sure if this is viable, but I think it would be a good idea. Also, if you are at a gym, then some weight training is also very helpful, both for weight loss and for arthritis. So certainly, give that some thought and see whether it's worth your while to get a little bit of variety through water based training and gym.