Question
Posted by: C | 2010/06/17

Exercise excuses ...

Why do so many people state in their questions to you that they don''t have time to go to gym more often or have children and cannot go to gym. Why do people think that they can only exercise at a gym or other places away from their home? Why do people think that once you get married and/or have children, that it becomes impossible to exercise? Maybe you can confirm that it is possible to follow an effective exercise program at home, on days and at times that suit you and your family, which includes everything you need, i.e. cardio, strength and flexibility training?

Hi C

Absolutely, well put! I think a lot of people have been "told" that gym is the way to train - it's an associate that has been made for us, and I guess one would call this clever and effective marketing!

But you're absolutely right, it's not an essential requirement. I think that there are some challenges when trying to exercise EXCLUSIVELY at home, but if they are recognized, then there is no reason why training from home is not just as effective as anything else you can do. The biggest challenge at home, in my opinion, is the routine it offers, in that sometimes it becomes too convenient. The machine and equipment is there now and it'll be there in 20 minutes, one hour, 3 hours. NExt thing, the day is over and you haven't trained! One could argue that the same problem exists for gym, but the "event" often provides the incentive to train. This is easy to overcome, if you have a programme and a bit of discipline. Plus, some encouragement from a signifcant other helps!

The other challenge is boredom, which is why I always suggest that even if 80% of the programme is from home, I would still suggest something outdoors to provide variety. A walk once a week on weekends, for exmaple. These can also be family events, or partner events, where you get some social stimulation if desired.

But all in all, as long as one takes ownership, training from home will be mighty effective. Like you say, a programme/plan is the key starting point, and then you just have to commit to it (and to someone else if you can, always helps!).

3
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/06/18

Hi C

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: C | 2010/06/17

I was actually not referring to your comments in particular, but comments that are posted in general, and not only on this forum. I also see and hear about it every day at my place of work.
Be that as it may, I do have two children, a full-time job and a husband.
I am sure Fitness Doc will be able to assist you. It is actually very easy to create a routine and to change it every week or two.
Good luck - I encourage you to start an exercise routine and to stick to it - it will be great for you physically and mentally - especially because woman tend not to create time for themselves.

Reply to C
Posted by: SR | 2010/06/17

i assume your comment refers to my post below. perhaps you dont have children or the demands of a fulltime job and family and all that it entails. so yes, sometimes it is impossible to excercise. But if you had read the full post, i asked what i can do at home...

Reply to SR