Posted by: Gigi | 2008-11-11

Exercise, diet good, but no weightloss

Hiya Doc
I' m really getting frustrated. I' m following a slimming eating plan given to me by a dietician and i exercise a lot and i' ve actually put on weight in the last 4 weeks according to the scale!
I do spinning twice a week, cardio and weights 3 times a week and my diet is almost exactly like your slimming one. And I' ve been doing this for a good 7 months now. I feel fitter and stronger.
Yet according to my measurements i' ve not lost an cm' s (or gained any they' re still the same) but i' ve put on over 1kg. How is this possible?
Is there soemthing i can take to give me a kick off the plateau i seem to be on? herbal or anything, i' m getting so frustrated.
I' m very healthy as well so i don' t want to take diet pills as such, but suely there' s something i can take to give me taht boost i need.
Thanks so much.

Dear Gigi
I must say that I too am puzzled that you are not losing kgs and/or at least some cm's if you are doing everything right. All the factors that you list should result in weightloss and a trimmer set of dimensions. I don't know how overweight you are (?), but if your weight is already within the normal range (?) then it may take longer to lose. However 7 months is too long. Have you discussed this problem with your dietitian? If not, I would suggest that you do because she/he may need to adjust your energy intake or change you to a low-GI- low-fat diet. The dietitian may also recommend that you have some tests done by a medical dr (e.g. thyroid, insulin or female hormone tests) and depending on the results the dr and your dietitian will work out a suitable approach. Don't start taking diet pills and potions because they are too harmful and many of them don't even work. Chat to your dietitian so that she can assist you.