Posted by: Alice | 2009-08-17

Exercise and weight loss

I am 33 age female - BMI 23. Have couple kgs to lose. Is it possible to lose the flab by just exercise and not having to follow a serious diet. I eat moderately anyway, but still enjoy the odd cheat - approx 1800kj' s -2000 kg' s per day. Just find that having to follow a ' diet'  adds extra pressure. Havent exercised for YEARS. Thinking 3-4x per week 30min-60min per session. Please advise. Thank you kindly.

HI Alice

When you start to aim to lose those last few kilograms, it can be really difficult unless everything is in order. And this means diet as well. For someone looking to go from 120 kg to 110kg, maybe it's not as vital, but to go from say 68 to 65kg, much more difficult.

And so your diet does need to be tighter. I'm not sure you mean kilojoules there, you probably mean kCal, because 2000kJ is about 4 times too low. You'd basically be starving yourself. But I think if you could see a dietician, it would certainly help, just to tighten it up and make sure you're eating well. The odd cheat is fine, no major disaster, and you don't need to "diet", but rather just make some sensible choices, because you're right, the extra pressure doesn't help.

So I'd say you should look at exercise, but also look at sensible eating habits, not diets, to help you.