Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2008/08/11

Exercise and weight loss

I know a fair amount about dieting and the benefits of exercise. However, I have always noticed that when I am trying to lose weight, it only works if I am not exercising! I know this sounds strange, but whenever I add exercise to the mix, I just can' t shift any weight. It is not that I am building muscle, because even there, sooner or later the scale would have to show a downward shift. At the moment, I am following the Weight Watchers program, and I am exercising a lot - I run 4 or 5 times a week, I cycle on the weekend, and I do some hand weights 2x a week. I have lost nothing! Despite sticking to the points religiously, for the most part. What could be the problem?

Dear Mandy
I must say that you are really an exception. If you watched the TV programme "The Biggest Loser SA" earlier this year then you will have seen that all the contestants ate a low-energy diet and did an amazing amount of exercise every day and all of them lost weight. I can't really assess your case because you did not mention your present weight in kg and height in metres so that I can calculate your BMI. If your BMI is already in the normal range (18-25) then you will struggle to lose weight. Other factors that could be preventing your weightloss include hormone imbalances (esp insulin resistance), and the use of various medications (esp female hormones and/or antidepressants). With the type of exercise programme you describe it is possible that you are building muscle tissue which weighs more than fat tissue, so measure your dimensions (waist, bust, hip and thigh measurements) every week to see if you are losing fat even if the scale does not show a change in mass.