Question
Posted by: Jane | 2010/07/28

Exercise and weight

I''m a 26 year old woman, 1.72m tall and weigh 45kg. I ride a stationary bike approximately 4 times a week for about 15 minutes, walk a lot and quite fast and have started doing a cardio-flex class 1-2 times a week.

I mostly eat yogurt, fruit and vegetables and sometimes hi fibre bran for breakfast. In between I snack on dried fruit and sometimes eat a rusk. I eat about 10 jelly beans a day.

My weight have gone up from 43kg to 45kg in the last few months. My pants are a bit tighter (not a lot) and I''ve noticed my bum and thighs getting bigger.

I started riding the stationary bike in Sept 2009. Do you think my weight gain is due to fat or muscle?

Dear Jane
Your present BMI = 15 which is dangerously low. I think I may have advised you before to seek assistance from a clinical dietitian because of your very low weight. The 2 kg you have gained are a blessing, but they could be due to water retention caused by nutrient deficiencies. Contact a dietitian soon before you ruin your health. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area.
Take great care

3
Posted by: C | 2010/07/28

You are definitely underweight. I think it is safe to assume that you are gaining muscle and not fat, WHICH IS A GOOD THING! Muscles are more attractive, even if it weighs more! Throw away the scale. Concentrate on how your body looks and how you feel.

Reply to C
Posted by: Sebe | 2010/07/28

Dear Jane,

I''m guessing (or hoping) that you are aware that you are under weight and working towards gaining weight.

It sounds to me that your diet is quite restrictive (except for the daily intake of jelly beans  -)), there is no mention of protein which is essential for building muscle. Vegetable protein in legumes (variety of beans and lentils) is quite healthy as well as lean meats such chicken and fish.

Building muscle by the way should be the goal in your exercise program, so you need to do more strength training (like weights, push-ups, or anything that requires strength rather than endurance) and it sounds like you''re doing more aerobic exercise (fast-paced type that leaves you huffing for breath). The latter will cause you to lose weight while strength training will help you gain muscle.

As for whether your weight gain is due to fat or muscle...who knows (ok, maybe DietDoc will know :-))? But the important thing is you''ve gained weight and you should celebrate!

Reply to Sebe

Dear Jane
Take great care