Question
Posted by: Lin | 2010-07-28

Exercise and weight

I''m a 26 year old woman, 1.72m tall and weigh 45kg. I ride a stationary bike approximately 4 times a week for about 15 minutes, walk a lot and quite fast and have started doing a cardio-flex class 1-2 times a week.

I mostly eat yogurt, fruit and vegetables and sometimes hi fibre bran for breakfast. In between I snack on dried fruit and sometimes eat a rusk.

My weight have gone up from 43kg to 45kg in the last few months. My pants are a bit tighter (not a lot) and I''ve noticed my bum and thighs getting bigger.

I started riding the stationary bike in Sept 2009. Do you think my weight gain is due to fat or muscle?

Hi LIn

Difficult to say. I think the diet is probably more likely to hold the 'answer' than the training. You might increase muscle mass as a result of exercise, but you're not doing the amount or intensity to cause this, from the sounds of it. Generally, people who do hours a day, and we're talking more than an hour, will gain muscle mass much more. So I would be surprised if all the changes are down to exercise alone. To me, it's likely that your diet has changed more than your exercise, and also that your other actvities (the other 23 hours a day) have maybe changed enough that over the last year, you've seen these changes.

I'd say that you need to assess diet and general activity. And while the 15 minutes and the class is good, I would suggest that if you can, you increase this to 30 minutes a day and see how it changes.

1
Posted by: Nathaniel | 2010-08-06

Erh, durh, your weight gain is due to the fact thwt you have starved yourself too much your metabolism is now screwed up! Have a sandwich and live a little!

Reply to Nathaniel