Question
Posted by: Ilsa | 2012-03-02

Exercise and RA

Good evening
I need some advice on exercise specific with RA in mind. My feet, Achilles tendons and hands are affected the most as well as my lower back. Feeling exhausted all the time, but need to lose some weight also.
Regards.

Hi Lisa

The symptoms dictate how much you can do, unfortunately. And as you'll know, they come and go, and so there'll be weeks where you feel "normal' exercise wise, other times when you feel a lot worse, tired and lethargic, aching. So I think you need to look at exercise and symptoms as parallel factors, and make sure you're trying everything to treat the RA independent of exercise, which I'm sure you are. Then it's a question of management of exercise. Impact is bad, so activities like cycling and swimming or aqua aerobics are easier to start with than walking, running or taebo. And resistance training also helps, though it's important to start very slowly so that you adapt well.

My advice would be to see someone -that's always first prize. Failing that, a generic programme that is focused primarily on cardio, and on the cycling/swimming combination is probably the best. There are some programmes on the site: http://www.health24.com/fitness/Programmes/16-1347.asp And you can use those as a guideline and adapt them to your schedule, needs and symptoms.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012-03-17

Hi Lisa

Reply to fitnessdoc