Question
Posted by: Julia | 2010-05-10

exercise and periods

Good day,
I have always had irregular periods. Spotting and then only bleeding for a day or two. This month no periods at all. I am not pregnant.
About a month ago I joined the gym. I go to classes 3 times weekdays (Zumba, VBox, Yoga) and once on weekend (threadmill, rowing, cycle). Each session is 1 hour and therefore exercise 4 hours a week. I have never exercised before and going to gym not to loose weight but just to be healthy.
Could my exercise have stopped my period and will it return?

Hi Julia

You exercise routine is not that demanding, so I'm leaning towards "no" as the answer. You often get this amenhorrea in women who train a lot - but here, we're talking fifteen hours a week, or more. Your training is a quarter of that, so it's unlikely.

However, that's not to say impossible, because there is an interaction between activity and diet, and so your exercise may still be contributing, given your diet.

I'd suggest you consult a doctor about this though - they'll be able to establish quickly what the cause is, and then you're able to know for certain what needs to be done. And also, if it is neither diet nor exercise causing it, then something else is, and the doctor can help you with that.

So I hate to pass the buck, but you need to probably see a doctor and consult.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-05-15

Hi Julia

Reply to fitnessdoc