Question
Posted by: Maureen | 2010/02/15

Exercise and obesity

Hi Doc. I am 36, 1.72 m tall and weigh 105kg. I have started on an exercise program that includes +- 5km walk on the treadmill 5 days a week.The entire walk takes about an hour. Is that too slow, as by the time I finish I'  l huffing and puffing? I have also started weight training but I'  m still struggling and not able to do much more than 5 minutes. However, I have only lost about 3 kg in almost 6 weeks and I'  m getting a bit despondent. I'  m watching my diet and not overeating nor starving myself. Should I go on with the walking? Please help

Hi Maureen

It's not too slow, no. You're just starting out, remember, and one of the things that will change the fastest is your fitness levels. So in a month from now, you will be covering those 5km in say 55min, then 50min, and one day you'll look back and be amazed at how much you've improved!

but for now, it's normal to be both tired and out of breath, because you're taking your body to levels it's not used to. You just need to give it time to adapt.

The same goes for weight training - just train at the level you can, and over time, it will improve. Your target should be fitness, not weight, and so don't be discouraged that you've only lost 3kg - what you should be aiming for is improved fitness. If that comes, the rest takes care of itself.

You might also, for variety, try cycling or rowing or stairclimbing, just substitite the 60 minutes that you would have done walking for any of these activities (or a split between them)

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/02/23

Hi Maureen

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: Sam | 2010/02/16

HI.....I am 27 and was weigh 103 kg I los 25kg in 3 months....What I did was to start by weight training for 30 min....you don' t need to go heavy. then 45 walk and jog......jog for 30sec and walk 2min for 2 week then increase to 1min walk and 1min jog for 1 month the increase to 1min jog to 30 sec run for 2 week then last 2 weeks is 1min jo and 1 min run. water is important and less food after 4pm will hell you with weight loss.

Reply to Sam