Posted by: sasch | 2012-01-12

exercise and heart rate

Hi doc
I recently read that in order to burn fat effectively while exercising you need to get your heart rate to about 60%-80% of it''s optimum. The formula they gave to figure this out was: subtract your age from 220=your optimum heart rate then work out what 60-80% of that is and that is the heart rate you should try and maintain through exercise. My optimum is 190 and my % range is 114-130.
I use an eliptical trainer everyday (which can read your heart rate) and today I used this method for the 1st time but i found that my workout was very slow and i didnt feel tired at all. What was usually a 30min workout ending in me feeling tired and having perspired quite exessively ended up being an hour long, seemingly easy workout which left me feeling like I hadnt done much.
What is your opinion on all of this and what would be your advise for carrying on?

Refer to my answer on your second post.