Question
Posted by: Mary | 2010/09/10

Exercise and eating

Hi Diet Doc,

I exercise 4 to 5 times a week (pilates, step, circuit training and cardio- adds up to 4 and a half hours per week and the cardio is quite high intensity) but haven''t lost a single kilo or centimetre. I eat relatively healthy (All bran, skimmilk and a bit of yoghurt for breakfast, salad or lentils for lunch and usually lean protein and veg for dinner) and if I do have cake or sweets I''ll compensate by skipping a meal. How is this possible and what can I do about it? The fat is mainly around my stomach (bad sign) and my BMI is 27. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Dear Mary
It is excellent that you are doing 4,5 hours of exercise a week - well done. It is possible that you are building muscle tissue at the moment and that weighs more than fat tissue, hence you may be losing fat, but this does not reflect in weightloss. Ask your gym instructor to add exercises that target the tummy to your regimen (e.g. sit-ups, etc). If you still have not lost any weight after 2 weeks, I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to assess what you are eating and compile an individual diet prescription for you.
Hang in there

1

Dear Mary
Hang in there