Question
Posted by: Mary | 2010/09/10

Exercise and eating

Hi Fitness Doc,

I exercise 4 to 5 times a week (pilates, step, circuit training and cardio- adds up to 4 and a half hours per week and the cardio is quite high intensity) but haven''t lost a single kilo or centimetre. I eat relatively healthy (All bran, skimmilk and a bit of yoghurt for breakfast, salad or lentils for lunch and usually lean prtoein and veg for dinner) and if I do have cake or sweets I''ll compensate by skipping a meal. How is this possible and what can I do about it? The fat is mainly around my stomach (bad sign) and my BMI is 27. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hi Mary

How long have you been doing it for? It does sometimes take a while, because there's a "barrier" to fitness that first must be overcome, and then you gain muscle mass and lose fat mass and sometimes don't see progress.

I'm not sure what you're doing in the training, but if you are just doing cardio, then you're doing the right kinds of things, so I suspect it just needs more time.

On the note of diet, that's a big factor. Skipping meals rarely helps, and eating less doesn't help either. So you might well look at your diet, and means to eat MORE during the day, but in smaller portions. I'd see a dietician about this if possible.

Otherwise, it's just time and continued effort, because you're on the right track, you just need time now.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/09/15

Hi Mary

Reply to fitnessdoc