Question
Posted by: Jolene | 2010/04/12

Exercise and diet- is this ok?

HI Doc
I currently exercise at the gym about 5 times a week, usually for about an hour and a half at a time and also do daily dog walks which are about half an hour each. I do cardio (running, spinning) and weight-training classes too.

I weigh 64kg currently and my BMI is at 24 but I can''t seem to shift the last bit of weight.

A typical daily diet consists of this:
Smoothie for breaktfast (banana, frozen berries, fat free milk and/or fat free yoghurt with bran and soemtimes crushed peacan nuts)
Mid mroning - fruit like apple or pear or home-made bran muffin with seeds and carrot/apple
lunch - salad with smoked chicken/tinned tuna
afternoon snack - fruit
Dinner - chicken/fish/steak with salad or veggies.

I do try monitor my portions as well.

What else can i do? I get so disheartened when all i do jsut seems to get me fitter but not thinner... BTW i''m 30 and used to be thin as a rake! (when i was 25) :-)

Thanks!!

Dear Jolene
Your exercise schedule and diet seem perfectly reasonable and if your BMI = 24 then you are already within the normal range. It is possible that you are building a lot of muscle tissue which does weight more than fat tissue, so do also keep a record of your dimensions because you may well be losing fat which will be mirrored by a loss of cm. It is also more difficult to lose weight when you are close to your goal, so persevere and you should slowly shed those last few kg.
Hang in there

2
Posted by: Nce | 2010/04/12

my 2cents worth, yo BMI shows that you are at a healthy weight maybe thats why you are not loosing anymore.

Reply to Nce

Dear Jolene
Hang in there