Posted by: Pat | 2009-02-09

Exercise and diet for osteoporosis

Is it possible to combat osteoporosis by diet, supplements and exercise alone?

I have been taking alendronic acid for five years and although I have had no apparent side effects, I am concerned about continual long term use.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Pat
If you have established osteoporosis, diet and exercise (although very important) alone will not improve the bone-density. You are correct that long term use of a drug like alendronic acid needs to be revised after about 5 years and if you bone density has improved or remained stable, a "drug holiday" may be called for. Your doctor obviously needs to discuss this with you and you will need to have interim bone density testing to monitor the health of your bones. If there was a significant decrease in bone density, therapy can be started again either with the same drug or something different. Please discuss treatment with the osteoporosis specialist treating you.