Posted by: Crumbs | 2012-03-28

Exercise and diet

I have been gyming, running and calorie counting for two years now, and have lost a total of 17kgs. I''ve hit a major plateau (got down to 58kgs and am now up just above 60 again) and can''t seem to budge the last few kgs. I''m also losing emergy - I used to run several times a week on top of 4 45 minute cardio or toning gym sessions (nothing too hectic) but now can only really manage 1 or 2 times a week at most. I also occasionally feel light headed (although have had my BP checked, and while it''s low, it''s no lower than usual). Eating food and iron supplements isn''t helping the dizziness either. Am I burnt out. Should i make cuts in my diet or exercise regime. I limit my intake to anywhere between 5000-6000kj a day (sometimes as high as 6500kj when eating out or over weekends). THanks

I think at 58kg, you're getting into what I'd say is ideal body weight territory. It may be very difficult to lose more, and that's a reality you have to consider. It's unlikely that you have many more to lose, at any rate.

The fact that you have no energy suggests to me that you're under-eating and suffering as a result. I think you may need to look at the amounts you're eating, the timing of meals, the kinds of foods - it's a fairly complex dietary exercise that, and something you need to see a dietician about, because it seems that perhaps you're compromising your body by forcing it too low.

So while I hate to pass the buck, I think you need these specifics, because failing to get them will mean that you are always guessing - how much energy is it exactly, what foods etc. So I'd see a dietician and discuss it with them and see if you can get to the bottom of it this way, and part of this is setting goals.