Question
Posted by: Jenna | 2009/11/10

Exercise and daily kilojoules

Hi doc,

I have been on a 5-6 day 30 minute exercise plan for a month now and am wondering what the daily kilojoule intake is for a person of my age and activity level.

I am 23 years old, my BMI is 19 and I really want to eat for energy and to maintain muscle mass and weight (60 kilograms).

I plan to visit a dietician soon but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dear Jenna
If your BMI is already so low and you exercise every day, I would recommend that you ingest at least 8400 kJ per day. This will sustain your energy levels, esp if you increase your intake of low-fat carbohydrates and proteins. The carbs provide you with energy and the proteins will help for the muscle mass. Concentrate on doing exercises with weights because if you do more cardio exercises you may lose even more weight.
Please do see a dietitian for an individual diet prescription.

1

Dear Jenna