Question
Posted by: Sunny | 2010/09/01

Exercise and Birth

What type of exercise would you recommend to a person who gave birth by c-section. And when should I start that type of exercise after giving birth?

Hi Sunny

Anything is fine, provided you've recovered from the birth. There's no hard and fast rule that says "Give it X weeks", but once you're out and start to feel a little better, once stitches are out, then you can ease your way back into training.

What you do then depends a lot on what you did before. Returning is always easier than starting. If you are returning to training, then it's a question of starting slowly, giving it a few weeks of very light, very short sessions, and then you can build up to normal.

If you are just starting, my advice would be something in water - aqua aerobics at the gym, or swimming, or pool running - at first, and then once you're over the start, then consider trying out walking, or jogging, or cycling.

If you go to the fitness page of this site, you'll see a tab for "Programmes", where you can find a range of options. Those are good, because they give you a goal, which is always important.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/09/06

Hi Sunny

Reply to fitnessdoc