Question
Posted by: Melissa | 2011/05/07

exercise &  breakfast

I walk in the mornings for exercise but should I eat first or only after I''ve walked. Is it better to exercise, if only walking, on an empty stomach?

Dear Melissa
When you wake up in the morning you have basically fasted for up to 12 hours since your last meal, which means your blood glucose levels and energy reserves may be too low to allow you to do a significant amount of physical exercise. On the other hand, eating a large breakfast before you walk, could slow you down and make you feel uncomfortable. It is thus a good idea to have a light breakfast (some fruit and low-fat yoghurt, or a small bowl of cereal with low-fat milk) before you go walking to top up your energy reserves. When you have finished walking you can have the rest of your breakfast or have a snack a bit later to replenish your energy reserves.
Enjoy your walking

1

Dear Melissa
Enjoy your walking